Apple and Almond Pastries
1 lb Pack chilled puff pastry
A little beaten egg
3 x Red-skinned dessert apples
1 1/2 oz Butter, melted
1 tbl Icing sugar
6 oz Marzipan
1. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface 3mm (1/8 inch)
thick. Cut out 6 circles approximately 8cm (3 inches) in diameter and place on a damp baking tray. Brush the pastry circles with the beaten egg.
2. Roll out the marzipan and cut out 6 smaller circles approximately 6cm (21/2 inches) in diameter. Lay on top of the pastry circles.
3. Core and quarter the apples. Slice each into quarter into 3.
4. Arrange apple slices on the marzipan, brush with melted butter and bake in a preheated oven 220 C/425 F/Gas Mark 7 for 15 minutes, until the pastry is golden.
5. Dredge with icing sugar and serve warm or cold with creme fraiche or cream.
Note: Red-skinned dessert apples look particularly attractive on this pastry. Good varieties to choose would be Empire, Spartan or Red Delicious.
NOTES : Using chilled puff pastry makes this impressive dessert or tea-time break quick and easy to make.